Thursday, October 9, 2008

Why these books?

I thought I'd take a moment and highlight why a couple of these titles in the list to the left made it onto a list of books I'd recommend. It's simple really... they rock! But maybe I should briefly explain why. So...
.
A Short History of Nearly Everything, by Bill Bryson - This book is truly a wonder. It's definitely not a one-afternoon-sit-down-and-read book. Don't get me wrong, it's very readable and accessible to the common person. However, seeing as how it's "a short history of nearly everything" it's bound to take a little time. The thing is that it doesn't focus so much on human history as it does the history of the universe. Bryson does an amazing job of bringing truly awe-inspiring aspects of Creation to life. And he documents the fascinating twists and turns of discovery that led us to the understanding we currently have of the universe.... natural laws, atoms, stars, the vastness of space, the make-up of our planet. I enjoyed science in school, but it was definitely not my favorite subject. If this had been one of my science textbooks, however, I seriously would have been tempted to pursue science as a career. Bryson makes the wonder of the world God made come alive.
.
Don't Waste Your Life, by John Piper - This book possibly is a one-afternoon-sit-down-and-read sort of book, but... it lit a fire under me to consistently question, "For what ultimate purpose am I living my life?" Piper prompts a self-evaluation of life and how we spend it. So often we choose to pursue good things our whole lives, but they aren't the best things that will last eternally. And when we finally come to the end of our lives, what do we have to show for it?! Because of that, Piper challenges the reader to consiously question how his life is spent. It's also part of the reason that Sarah and I have chosen our particular default career alternative. If there comes a point where God tells us that He no longer requires us to be where we are, doing what we're doing, we're getting outta here and going overseas. In fact, our default is to move to somewhere in the Muslim world to work among Islamic peoples who do not yet know the glory, majesty, and mystery of Jesus Messiah. (Don't worry, all you grandparents out there. We aren't taking the grandkids away yet.) Sarah and I feel pretty sure God has us where we're at for quite some time to come. But this is something Sarah and I periodically come back and ask, "God, do You want us still doing what we're doing, where we're doing it?"
.
Anyway, those are the first two books on the list, and that's why I put them there. If you want further reviews or want to buy them cheaply online, just click on the links to the left. They'll take you to the specific listings on Amazon. (Order $25 or more of books and get free shipping... I like it! ... alot!)

2 comments:

evakoski said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
evakoski said...

I am having comment issues. I was going to say that Bill Bryson has never written a book that I couldn't get into, but A Short History really is his best work. My husband likes to go on and on (and on and on and on) about "The Universe in a Nutshell", but Stephen Hawking is too dry for me. I love how accessible this book is. Great pick!