Saturday, October 4, 2008

The Anticipation of Return

My wife has been in Texas for the last several days at a convention. She’ll be getting home tomorrow evening, and I must say that I really can’t wait. It sounds silly to me as I read over those words because that is such an understatement. It’s been good to have a ton of daddy-kid time this past week, but I definitely ache to have my best friend back. I’ve been thinking about her and a couple of verses keep coming to mind. I think about how Scripture says that a husband and wife become one when they are married. I definitely sense that at times like these. Life just isn’t quite as bright and exhilarating as it is with her. She truly has become my other half. I also think of how Scripture says that creation waits and groans in anticipation of redemption and relief from the curse of sin. It anticipates and hungers for the day that it will no longer be separated from experiencing the full glory of its Creator because of Man’s sin. My desire to see my best friend again makes me wonder what it must be like for creation to be awaiting relief from sin. And I can’t help but ask myself, “Do I have this same longing and wish to see my Savior face to face?” Sometimes I think so, but to tell you the truth, all too often I get wrapped up in the hustle and bustle of the world around me and forget. Tonight I’m just praying that God will remind me of what it means to fervently desire the return of Christ with the anticipation of a spouse awaiting a reunion with his best friend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashley I love to read your blog . It always make me feel the need to come closer to our Lord and love him for all the right reasons.Thank you for the nuggets.
My love and prayers, nana jane

Laura for the Baillies said...

since becoming a military wife and experiencing times of separation i have changed my opinion of the old couples who have never spent a day apart...i think the Lord shows us something dear about His heart through that pain and i've tried hard to find ways to be grateful for it, as NOT fun as it can be...i'm proud of you for thinking and sharing those thoughts, brother, rather than getting lost in the "single dad" mode and missing Him in it