Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The ministry of reconciliation

The past few days have been a little strange. With Sarah Palin being named as McCain’s running mate Wasilla has been a little less sleepy than it typically is. At the church we’ve been having reporters call regularly. I appreciate what Larry said Sunday, though, that we respect the fact that this should be a place where Sarah and Todd can come and worship as just Sarah and Todd. And in the midst of the hubbub I’ve been reading through 2Corinthians, where we are told that we are given the “ministry of reconciliation.” (2Cor. 5:19) I’ve been thinking a bit about this, and it is a good reminder of what I’m to be about.

My mission as a follower of Christ is to help reconcile people to God. I am an ambassador tasked with the responsibility to introduce people to our sovereign. That’s my job, nothing more, and nothing less.

I key in on this verse because it’s been a strange day, where it’s been difficult to buckle down and get needed ministry tasks done without having some form of interruption. So, in the midst of a world that is all abuzz, I am trying to remain focused on my primary mission. Faithfully bring people to encounter God. I pray that I will just keep doing that. And, Lord willing, I’ll be able to do just that.

0 comments: