Sunday, September 28, 2008

Sensation and Substance

We live in a microwave world, where once it was a crockpot community. It used to be that people desired more objective information with which they could make an informed assessment of an issue. Now we are pleased with soundbites and chafe at the thought of having to wade through information not presented in a catchy, simplistic, and sensational fashion. Unfortunately people on both sides of the cultural and spiritual wars going on in our country suffer from this culture of Attention Deficit Disorder.

I was thinking about this today and tonight for two reasons.

1) My recent interaction with the media has driven home the understanding that our society wants juicy gossip passed off as serious news, not serious news that isn't sensational. I mean, really, on both sides this drives me nuts. It's hard to listen to anyone with an agenda, who can't even give a nod to the other side because it is unacceptable to admit the guy in black might not be quite as darkly shaded as we'd like, and maybe our own white outfit needs a little bleach. (Maybe the reason this drives me so crazy is because I can easily slip into this trap myself if I'm not really careful) In terms of politics, this usually comes out with people on the left and the right smearing one another without acknowledging that there are any redeeming qualities or aspects there.

For instance, why is it threatening for some people to acknowledge that it is stinkin' awesome that this is an amazing time in American history? We will have, for the first time ever, either a black president or a woman VP! That is stinkin' awesome that our society has come to the point where that is not just a theoretical possibility, but is a practical reality! I don't care what your politics are, I hope we can at least agree on that. Now that's not to say that the various candidates don't vary greatly in their stances on issues. And that's not to say that I don't care who wins. I have strong feelings on that. But I can at least give a nod to both Barack Obama and Sarah Palin for the fact that they arrived in the position they did, against all odds, at this moment in history. Now if only we could get talk show hosts to stop painting the opposition in broad brush strokes and actually deal fairly and accurately with all involved. (Ever notice that each side paints the other in the worst possible light while glossing over their own candidates' faults and painting with extreme delicacy?)

2) I was reminded of some ongoing discussions I've had with different people over the last year or two. Discussions about the existence of a Universal Moral Standard, age of the earth, intelligent design, "charismatic" spiritual gifts... the list goes on. All too often in these discussions the labels start flying and the conversation ends up generating a whole lot more heat than light, very few people change their minds, and everyone goes away feeling burned. That's rather unfortunate. Again, I think that a part of the reason is that we enjoy ridiculing the opposition, and we don't ever stop to think, "You know... he might have a point there... I need to look into that."

My point is simply this... Our society wants sensation, not substance. We quickly jump to label slinging and paint others who don't agree into a box. Sadly, I can slip into this mode if I'm not careful. But... if I really am to be about the ministry of reconciliation, as Paul says, I should be doing all that I can to understand those to whom I am sent as an ambassador. I need to keep a godly, biblical perspective, but I also need to stay away from those generalizations and labels. It's much harder to fairly represent those with whom I disagree. If I acknowledge redeeming qualities in my opponent I can't just write him off without really wrestling with the substance of his argument. I actually have to work hard and dig into the context of his position and see if those negative excerpts are really what he intended to communicate. I actually have to engage my mind and work to understand instead of just coasting along screaming, "That's right!" when somebody slams the opposition. Maybe that's why Paul calls us to the service of reconciliation, not to be spectators and cheerleaders.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

So often lately I've been caught up in the frenzy of the moment and think the the world will stop turning if my candidate does not win. Your right, history is in the making and either way it's remarkable. Thank you for your insight Ashley. N